Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Overflowing excitement!


Have you ever talked to someone and you can just tell that they're not interested? You ask about their job, life, family, even friends, and they are just zoned out. It's depressing, and my heart goes out to them. I wonder about what does make them excited, what is that thing that they talk about and they just light up? I talked to someone last night, and she was tired. It was Monday, she was drained from the weekend, and a little stressed, the norm for her I believe.
We started talking, and eventually we came around to the topic of her job. She works at a camp that does year around stuff, the same camp I basically grew up at as a child. So, the topic of her job led to the topic of what was new around the camp. Tired and stressed Trisha suddenly lights up, she's beaming as she tells me about the new things. New programs, new buildings, and new people!
She couldn't contain her excitment, the love she had for the camp and the people that work there bubbled out of her. The joy that new things were happening and the places that the camp was going just lit up her face. She went from tired and stressed, to smiling and laughing. The transformation was incredible.
For me, I get that way when I talk about my work with kids, and when I'm thinking and dreaming about my future family. I love my kids on Sunday mornings, they're smart and funny. Each has their own personalities and quirks. I can't wait to have kids of my own, I'm no where near ready but I'm looking forward to it! It is my passion; the hard work, time and effort of raising children. The teamwork and joint effort of myself and my wife; as we build each other up in order to raise up our children to be strong, deep thinking, passionate people. Who I pray, even now, will be sold out to Christ, founded in God, and daily living in the Spirit.
I look forward to so many things, but I can't neglect the here and now. The opertunities to serve and give of myself and my time; the surrendering of myself to life others up should be daily for me. It isn't, I struggle with the selfishness of my own heart. I catch myself not listening when people talk to me, or jumping ahead in things because of something I desperately want. I realize as I focus more on Christ, and getting to know Him, that I become more like Him. His love for me overflows into love for others, same with His compassion and forgiveness. Anything that God is will start coming out of me, for it is "Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks." as Luke 6:45b puts it best. 

No comments:

Post a Comment