Sunday, February 26, 2012

Restoration in the Midst of God's Work

Ephesians 2:14-18 
    For he himself is our peace, who has made the two groups one and has destroyed the barrier, the dividing wall of hostility, by setting aside in his flesh the law with its commands and regulations. His purpose was to create in himself one new humanity out of the two, thus making peace, and in one body to reconcile both of them to God through the cross, by which he put to death their hostility. He came and preached peace to you who were far away and peace to those who were near. For through him we both have access to the Father by one Spirit.


Can I just say... God is awesome! God has been revealing so much about my heart and the life I've been living and how it compares to the life I should live. But these have not been the truly big deals going on in my life as of late. I have joined a church plant in the Brier Creek area and God has put me with some incredible people. But speaking of people...
One of the people on the team is a friend of mine, and this friend and I have had a really rocky few years. We've had spats, some of them petty, some quite serious. Well, I heard he was thinking of coming on the plant, and my heart jumped into my throat. The enemy took this moment to pound thoughts against me, thinking of how terrible it would be, and how much of a struggle it would end up being trying to stay civil, and just on and on the thoughts went.
Well, God stepped in and revealed himself strongly on my heart. And the incredible thing was how my heart just stepped in line with his, and we agreed that this plant is about God, and about spreading his kingdom in our city, and any squabbles between his children either need to be shelved or dealt with. So I just said to God, "This is bigger than me, or him, and if our passion is truly for you, then this would sort itself." Another friend even told me when I mentioned my fears, that God would deal with it and I wouldn't have to do anything.
Her statement was so true, God worked everything out perfectly. My friend and I ended up getting coffee, and just hanging out. We talked about the plant, and how excited about it we were. As we talked we shared our stories and found out they were so similar that only God could be involved. We had both been worried about each other being on the plant, and God changed both our hearts, and our surrender rewarded the restoration of a friendship in a way that no mental or physical work of our own could have ever brought about so complete a turn around of personality in our friendship.
This is such a perfect picture of how God can move when his people are sold out for him, there is a harmony of soul and spirit that leaves us breathless and laughing for joy. It causes us to run to him, and just leaping with joy like a child, saying "Look! Look! These incredible things are what you did!" We run around telling others, "God is awesome! Look at what he did!" It's also a perfect picture of how God takes to very imperfect people, and gives them the same passion and tools to do something. They become more than themselves, a part of a movement that makes everything pale in comparison to the work God has placed before them.
Now, there will still be struggles, I have no doubt me and this friend will be at odds again sometime in the future, but our God is bigger than those odds. If we stay true to God, then our hearts will be willing to compromise, and to further God's kingdom at whatever cost it might be to our pride and desires.
I just want to praise God for all he has been doing lately, I'm getting blown away more and more each time something incredible has happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment