Tuesday, February 21, 2012

If Jesus were on earth today...

I pondered the other day, what would Jesus be doing if He were here today. It shamed me... He would be living in the moment, caring for people, and showing love all the time. Me? I was grumpy, caught up in my own desires, wishing for myself, feeling bad about what I didn't have, frustrated over finite things. I ignored people in need... Did not encourage... Sought only for myself. I did not seek God, or follow Him.

I also thought about today, who would Jesus visit if He came to earth. Not the President, nor the Emperors throughout the world, not even the kings. He would approach the child making castles in the sand, ride up as royalty, request audience, and treat the child as His own. He'd play, and laugh with him. He would then visit the beggar, and would sit with him in the dirt, hear his story, cry with him, and heal his hurts. He would care for the least of these, not add to the pompous pride of people who ignore Him. I'd be there, expecting a visit from God, and confused as to why He visited the dirty man on the street corner.

I thought about myself today... And wondered why God didn't protect me, was not giving me strength, and feeling as though I was alone. I realized... I was wearing the clothes of the enemy, hanging their symbol around my neck, branding their brand upon myself, and then crying out to God. I was indignant and angry. He wanted to help me, and already had. He gave me the choice; Choose the enemy, or choose Him. I chose the enemy... And then had the gall to question God working in my life.

I'm sick and tired of this; of living a life flip flopping from loyalty to loyalty. It is immature and unholy, self destructive and self gratifying. I can't do it myself... I have to learn to submit myself to God, and humble my pride.

I have a long way to go.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your honesty and vulnerability in this post! It speaks to all of us that we would rather have the Jesus that the Jewish leaders wanted. They wanted a Jesus that would fill their needs and help them achieve their goals and their glory. We are a selfish people that are always looking for ways for God to fit in our life plan. I pray that we can serve and love recklessly like Christ. That He will change our eyes to see people the way He saw them. Like sheep without a shepherd! We can direct people to the Shepherd, to the wellspring of life, but we would rather stay in our comfort zones. Thank you for the encouragement and exhortation!

    ReplyDelete