Thursday, January 26, 2012

Going for a walk

Today has been interesting, but I'll get to that. This week has been rough, lots of late nights, long conversations, crazy adventures. I'm worn out, so today I've been lazing around, it's my day off and my normal plans are not happening. I slept in, missed a meeting, did my taxes, watched some movies. And reached a point where I was just... Down.
I missed my family, I missed the way things used to be, I missed my dog, even missed my cat... I finally dragged my butt out of the apartment and decided to get some food. As I left I glanced over the railing and I thought "What is keeping me from running and jumping over that and just seeing what happens?" (I live on the third floor) I looked around, there was children, people working, cars driving. And all I could think was that, it wasn't a job, the chance at being a father and husband, or life it self that had any sway on me jumping right then. It was that there is something more to life, and that I was seeking it.
 As time went on I left, got some food, and ended up at a park I knew had a trail. I started walking, and felt the stress and tension from my week begin to uncurl from my gut. I kept walking passing other people, some walking, some running, others biking. Then this one lady passed me with a dog, a lab and retriever mix that was the exact size of dog I wanted.
As I passed the lady mentioned what a beautiful day it was, that statement ripped me out of my self centered thinking and caused me to really look around, it was a beautiful day. The dog ended up stopping and with those sweet brown eyes looked up and me and just demanded attention. His owner laughed and said "it's interesting who he picks out, normally blonde women, tall ones. Most guys he just blows right by." Wally (the dog) might have sensed my need of that fur between my fingers, or my loneliness. Maybe he was sent by God, I don't know. But I know it was a blessing.
After parting ways with Wally, I kept walking and found a spot by the creek. Which is where I'm writing this from. The sound of the creek is relaxing, and I realized how often I blow past these... Relaxing points in my life, and instead of going out and taking advantage of them, I hole up and do nothing, and just exist instead of enjoying God's world...
I'm gonna keep walking and see what else can be found.




No comments:

Post a Comment