Wednesday, January 11, 2012

50th Post or A Return from a long absence

So, I haven't written in a really long time. Honestly, I've been afraid to. I'm normally fairly public with my life, I never want to feel like I'm hiding for any reason. Fairly public is a good way of saying I'm open, but not always about the important things.

My writings reflect me, and I have to be careful because I can shape myself into what ever I wish to be. I can share only the good and make myself appear to have no problems, I can complain all the time and make my life sound horrible. With my writing I can make people celebrate, or hurt, understand, love, or hate. Not because I am an amazing writer, or have some special skill. That is simply the nature of writing, that is the power of words. But not only the written words, but the spoken, mulled over, considered, hinted, feigned, possible, and thought of. Those words have power.

There's a reason God spoke, had his people write, had monuments and alters. They are remembrances, for us to remember His power and promises. The unspoken words have had a major control over my life. What people didn't say was often more important to me than what they did say. I would go over possible things, base then off of things they had said about others, and even fuel my own self-disgust with things things they MIGHT be thinking.

It was a foothold that allowed the enemy to take hold of me and take control. I hated myself, believed I was a horrendous friend, not worthy of any affection and love. I grew paranoid and frightened, anything out of the ordinary was something I had screwed up. It was terrible, I lived most of my life that way. Last year I shut myself away, became everything I despised, locked away my "Christian" nature and lived how I pleased. It didn't last long, but it felt like forever. Even when I "rejoined the fold" I was still broken, and I believed that who I was had been lost forever, and needed to be created anew. That is what being a Christian meant, right? A new creature. New life.

But God had other plans. I had a hunger, a sickness that couldn't be cured, a desire like something lost in a dream. I was seeking something, and I heard about a class. People said that it was like "going through hell" and they said it laughing, smiling. I wanted that, I didn't want a life of ease, I wanted to struggle. I didn't know that then, but something rose up in me, and I knew I had to be in that class.

There's nothing magical about the class, it's just a gathering of people who are seeking God, and because they are seeking... We are finding Him. He is revealing Himself in us, the seeds planted are being watered and they are exploding in growth. My most recent growth was a startling revelation. I, or rather God showed me, that I had been running, not from God, but from myself, who He wanted me to be. I had already been created new, and was being renewed every day. But I couldn't shape me, I didn't know how. I had to let God. To let Him love me, and show me. He showed me how I had used my anger to drive wedges in friendships, my bitterness to poison the waters of fellowship. Out of my own denial of who I was in Christ, the enemy had a heyday and damaged many things. God will rebuild or restore, but I first had to accept my own failures, and give them up. To no longer accept ownership of them, Jesus died so I could walk away from sin, and His Spirit is within me to give me the choice to say no to anything unholy.

I have given up a few things I held dear, and gained new ones. Better by far than what was given up. I have hope again...joy holding steady. Love, compassion, caring. Desires to help, and a sense of direction. I don't know exactly where I'm going, but I know my next steps. I'm ok with not knowing the whole picture. My temper is lower, my anger not so quick, I'm letting go of old frustrations. Old hurts. I'm growing. It hasn't been easy, the desire to just give up rears its head, but I have to give it to God, or cast it away in the name of Christ. I still stumble, but God hasn't let me fall. If I lean on Him, I will always be given a away to escape temptation.

So, onward I go.

1 comment:

  1. So I find this law at work: Although I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God’s law; but I see another law at work in me, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within me. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death? Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord!

    So then, I myself in my mind am a slave to God’s law, but in my sinful nature[d] a slave to the law of sin. Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit who gives life has set you free from the law of sin and death. For what the law was powerless to do because it was weakened by the flesh, God did by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh to be a sin offering. And so he condemned sin in the flesh, in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fully met in us, who do not live according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.
    Those who live according to the flesh have their minds set on what the flesh desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires. The mind governed by the flesh is death, but the mind governed by the Spirit is life and peace. The mind governed by the flesh is hostile to God; it does not submit to God’s law, nor can it do so. Those who are in the realm of the flesh cannot please God.

    You, however, are not in the realm of the flesh but are in the realm of the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, they do not belong to Christ. But if Christ is in you, then even though your body is subject to death because of sin, the Spirit gives life[d] because of righteousness. And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies because of[e] his Spirit who lives in you.

    Romans 7:21 - 8:11

    It's the gospel, pure and simple. It is for FREEDOM that Christ has set us free, not to beat ourselves up every time we fail, or be afraid to mess up. Even Bathsheeba, arguably David's biggest mistake, led to the birth of Jesus. Even that huge mistake was redeemed. Enjoy the blessings He has given you, and never for one second think that His that ability to restore broken and abandoned things is limited! He is the one who left 99 sheep to search for the one lost thing. He is the God who Sees what Abraham did to Sarah's handmaiden and took care of her in the wilderness. Cry out to Him. He will answer you.

    ReplyDelete